Monday, June 16, 2008

DADDY'S LITTLE GIRLS

When summer time rolls around it brings with it three birthdays to the Daily family. Actually it brings four, one being mine, but we won't get into that. Beside my wife and myself our two eldest daughters will turn one year older. Elora will be 16 in August, and Kateleyne will turn the big 18 in September. The time is soon approaching when our little chicks will want to leave the nest and experience life on their own. I don't know about other parents, but I'm not ready to be an empty nester. Somehow it doesn't seem fair that after 18 years or so your kids decide to just pack up and leave. What about all the diapers I changed, the feedings, and getting up in the middle of the night because of illness or to kill a spider. What about cleaning up the barf, the drool, and anything made with tomato sauce. And let's not forget the school plays and dance recitals, not to mention the soccer, basketball and football games. How about all the time and energy my wife and I put into them, not to mention the money (oh, the money). Doesn't all that count for anything! I realize I'm getting ahead of myself. I still have many more years of parenting to do. But as my kids get older, the thought crosses my mind once in a while. I am very proud of my two eldest girls. They've matured quite a bit in the past couple of years and have grown into two beautiful girls. They've worked hard in school, and have gotten excellent grades. As a father you don't want them to grow up too fast, and I'm tempted to clip their wings, but you can't do that forever. Birds gotta fly; fish gotta swim, but for now, the pet store is CLOSED!

No comments: